Today I am going to share 39 Search Engine Ranking Factors for you. Search engine optimization is a method that is used to increase the number of visitors to website by grabbing a high-ranking placement in search result place of the search engine. This process impacts upon the visibility of a website. SEO determines how search engines work and what people search for along with the actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines and which search engines are preferred by their audience whom the target. Search engine optimization makes sure that the website is easily accessible and improves the chances that the website will be easily found by search engine. It is basically a very common practice for all the Internet users to not click through pages and pages of search results, so where a website grades in a search is necessary for directing more traffic toward the website. A popular tactic used by a SEO is promoting a website for increasing traffic towards the website.
Search engine ranking is the position at which the website appears in the result of search engine query. Ranking on top in the search results actually corresponds to a lower number, whereas ranking lower corresponds to a greater number. Multiple website owners are engaged in SEO campaigns in order to enhance and improve their search engine ranking and move their website closer to higher ranking because websites that are ranked higher normally gets a larger percentage of click-through and attract more visitors than lower ranked websites.
The search engines basically focuses on developing a more personalized search experience for the audience and take an individual’s search history into consideration. Although a website might rank #3 for certain search phrase for one user, it may be the case that it ranks #8 for the other. Search engine rankings are not guaranteed from one search to the other, even when the search phrases are same.
Search engine ranking is affected by a large amount of factors including the age of website, the quality of a website’s link portfolio, the relevancy of the page, level of competition among others. Google provides around many factors to be used when considering a website’s search engine ranking including many of those which are not controllable by website holder. Among other stuffs, a white hat SEO campaign is designed to positively impact these factors and enhance a website’s overall search engine ranking.
Some Factors That Affect Search Engine Ranking are as Follows:
1. Domain purchased: it is not a very important factor but it is considered during search engine ranking. The older the domain, the less attractive it is if not up-dated.
2. Overall algorithm: Survey suggested that Links are still believed to keep approximately 40% importance of the algorithm. SEOs now believe that social factors are not fundamental.
3. Domain level keyword-agnostic feature: These features relate to the overall root domain but do not directly describe the link or the keyword-based elements. Rather than that they relate to those things like the length of the domain name in characters.
4. Use of keyword: This factors covers how the keywords are basically used in the root and the sub-domain name.
5. Exact match domain: It may still give you an edge if it is a good quality website. But if it appears to be a low-quality site then it’s vulnerable to the domain.
6. Starting of title tag with a keyword: Title tags which initiates with a keyword performs better than title tags with the keyword at the end of the tag.
7. Length of the content: Content with large amount of words can cover a wider topic and are likely preferred to than the shorter superficial articles.
8. Keyword Word Order: Similarity of a searcher’s keyword in a page’s content will basically rank the website better than the same keyword phrase used for search in a different order.
9. Magnitude and content update: The importance of edits and changes is also one of the freshness factors. By Adding or removing the overall sections is a fundamental update instead of moving around the few keywords.
10. PR of Linking Page: The PageRank of the referring page is one of the most important ranking factors.
11. Authority of Linking Domain: The referring domain’s authority plays an independent role in a link’s importance.
12. Links from Competitors: Links from other pages ranking in the same search engine ranking may be more worthy for a page’s rank for that specific keyword.
13. Social Shares of Referring Page: The number of page-level social shares may affect the link’s value i.e the more the share, the better the ranking.
14. Google dance: This is a considerable factor that influences the ranking of the website on the search engine. This may be one of their ways to determine whether a website is trying to play with algorithms.
15. Future of the search: Users were asked to share their predictions of how factors may change over the next 12 months.
16. Number of comments: A huge amount of comments on a website signals a good quality and interaction and therefore ranks higher.
17. Uniqueness of content: Google do not really like reading out the similar contents and therefore those website having similar contents to other website are ranked lower. In comparison to this website, those websites are ranked higher with a unique and up-dated content.
18. Time on Site: This is the time that one company uses on its website. A static and a dynamic website ranks higher than a simple website. Google Analytics along with the Chrome data helps Google to determine your user average time on website. If more time is spent, then it may be considered as a quality signal.
19. Bookmarked websites: websites which are bookmarked are more highly rankly than others which are not bookmarked.
20. Direct traffic on the website: It is also considered to be one of the main factors. Those website having direct traffic are ranked higher than those which are not achieving direct traffic.
21. Natural link profile: A website with a natural link profile is ranked highly by Google and be more durable to the updates.
22. Diversity of Link Types: Websites that have fake links come from a one source either from forum profiles or blog comments etc. may be a symbol of a web spam. Alternatively links from diverse sources is a symbol of a natural link profile.
23. Link Location in Content: Links at the start of content carry a high rank than those links that are placed at the end of the content.
23. Inbound link anchor text: It is a relevancy signal which is ranked differently than backlink anchor text.
24. User generated content link: Google has the ability to identify the link generated by the user and those by the actual owners of the website.
25. Schema.org Micro-formats: Pages that uses the micro-formats may rank above those pages without it. This may be a direct increase or the fact that pages with micro-formatting have a higher ranking.
26. Word count of link content: link from higher word post is worthy than those with lower word post and is therefore ranked higher.
27. Quality of Linking Content: Links from poorly written contents do not pass as much value as links from a well-written and qualitative multimedia-enhanced content.
28. Bounce Rate: Few SEO agrees about the bounce rate change, perhaps it can also be a way of Google to use their users as quality testers. Websites from where the readers bounce quickly are truly not considered to be a qualitative website.
29. Repeat Traffic: If the readers repeat back to the website they visited once, such websites are considered by Google and are ranked higher if users repeated many times.
30. Geo Targeting: Google prefers those websites with a local server IP and country-specific domain name extensions.
31. Safe Search: Results of search with curse words or adult content will not appear as a Safe Search for people.
32. Transactional and local searches: Google sometimes different results for its searches. Google sometimes displays different results for shopping-related keywords just like flight searches.
33. Authority of Facebook User Accounts: As with Twitter, Facebook shares and likes approaching from popular Facebook pages are ranked higher than others.
34. Pinterest Pins: Pinterest is a popular social media account consisting large amount of public data. It is probable that Google considers Pinterest Pins a social signal and ranks it high.
35. Votes on Social Sharing Sites: It’s possible that Google uses shares at sites like Reddit, Stumbleupon and Digg as another type of social signal. More share ranks high on Google.
36. Brand Name Anchor Text: Branded anchor text is although simple but is strong and shows brand signal.
37. Branded Searches: It is simple and people search for brands. If searchers search for your website in Google so Google likely takes this into determination when considering a brand.
38. Site Has Facebook Page and Likes: Brands that tend to have Facebook pages with lots of likes. These websites are considered to be highly ranked than those without having any other social media account.
39. Site has Twitter Profile with Followers: Twitter profiles with a lot of follower’s signals a popular brand and is therefore considered by Google and ranks higher than those having no profile and followers.